Work In Canada

How to Work in Canada as an Au Pair

Au pairing is a profession that is almost exclusively reserved for women. Parents simply trust the female gender with their children’s lives much more, and understandably so.

The first benefit that comes to mind is an immediate reduction in competition; from the number of people in the job pool to the number of spots available in Canada’s special permanent residency program, the Home Child Care Provider Pilot.

The rising cost of child care in Canada has led more and more parents to choose an au pair to take care of their child’s needs, as it often costs the same or even less than day care. Don’t be fooled, this doesn’t mean you will earn little. The average au pair in Canada earns about $290 per week in addition to room and board.

The biggest advantage of working as an au pair in Canada is the opportunity to study part-time while working, or vice versa.

Studying in Canada can open many doors and provide additional pathways to permanent residence in Canada. It is very likely that you will find a suitable post-secondary institution in the city or community of the family you work for.

The Steps to Permanent Residency in Canada as an Au Pair

The first and most important step is to get a job offer from a Canadian family. There are numerous platforms to find opportunities, such as, GreatAuPair and Usually, you will need to have good references and, if you are a bit older, you will need to show some form of experience or qualification in childcare.

2. Apply For a Work Permit and Permanent Residency

Once you have a job offer, you must apply for a temporary work permit. If you are allowed to enter Canada, you will receive an open work permit for a specific occupation. This means that you are allowed to work for different employers, but only in child care.

3. Get Two Years Work Experience in Canada

It is important to note that you can submit your application for permanent residence in Canada at the same time as your application for a work permit. If you meet the requirements, you will be granted the temporary work permit and your application will be submitted. Once you have twenty-four months or two years of work experience in child care in Canada, submit the proof and the final decision on your permanent residency will be made by the Immigration, Refugee Council of Canada (IRCC).

Related Articles

Back to top button

Adblock Detected

please remove ad blocker to view this content