Work In Canada

How to Work in Canada as a Teacher

Teachers are one of the most important and respected professions in the world. The need for talented and inspiring educators is high everywhere in the world, including Canada.

Canada is known to be one of the best educated countries in the world, with over 56% of adults holding a post-secondary degree, according to the OECD. This is primarily due to the excellent education system that is available free of charge to all Canadians, including permanent residents.

If you have been thinking about immigrating to Canada as a teacher, now is the time to seize the day and spend the rest of your life in one of the most diverse, multicultural and liberal countries in the world.

Teachers are not only one of the 10 most in-demand occupations in Canada, but they are also on 8 of the 11 occupation needs lists in Canada’s Provincial Nominee Program. According to Job Bank Canada, secondary school teachers can expect 53,700 new jobs between 2019 and 2028, which means that the Canadian education sector will be in demand for a significant number of years. Combined with good benefits and the chance to earn up to $96,000 per year, you can provide a brighter future not only for the young people you’ll be educating, but also for your loved ones.

To speak with one of our consultants and have your suitability assessed by a vetted service, simply click on the link below or read on to find out what options are best for teachers looking to immigrate to Canada.

Jobs in Canada: How much do teachers earn in Canada?

Teaching is a noble profession, no matter what level or age your students are. Whether you are an educator, an elementary or high school teacher, or a university or college professor, your role is fundamental to the lives of millions of people, and there are a variety of lucrative employment opportunities for you in Canada. Education is deeply rooted in the Canadian value system, which is why such a high level of public education is available free of charge to all citizens and permanent residents and their family members. And for that, Canada rewards its educators with competitive salaries and great benefits.

According to Business Insider, Canada is among the top 10 countries with the best-paying elementary school teaching jobs in the world in 2019. Below are some of the average salaries (according to Payscale) for teachers currently in demand across the country.

It is important to note that salaries vary from province to territory depending on education level and work experience.

Average Annual Salaries for High School Teachers in Canada
Province/Territory Average Salary (CAD)
National Average $68,894
Alberta $70,098
British Columbia $53,031
New Brunswick $66,250
Newfoundland & Labrador $58,500
Northwest Territories $82,000
Nova Scotia $57,675
Ontario $87,000
Prince Edward Island $63,512
Quebec $49,579
Saskatchewan $62,400
Yukon $69,000

What benefits do teachers receive in Canada?

When you immigrate to Canada as a teacher, you not only have access to the fantastic universal healthcare system that doesn’t cost you a dollar, but you also have access to various employment benefits that you may not have access to in your own country. These include a number of Employment Insurance (EI) benefits such as:

Work Benefits for Teachers in Canada
Benefit Description
Paid maternity and parental benefits Maternity benefits (up to 55% of your earnings for up to 15 weeks) + standard or extended parental benefits

  • standard – up to 55% of your earnings for up to 40 weeks (1 parent can’t take more than 35 weeks)
  • or extended – up to 33% of your earnings for up to 69 weeks (1 parent can’t take more than 61 weeks)
Sickness benefits Up to 55% of your earnings for up to 15 weeks if you can’t find work because of medical reasons
Caregiver Benefits Family caregiver benefit for children – up to 35 weeks payable (a critically ill or injured person under 18)
Family caregiver benefits for adults – up to 15 weeks  (a critically ill or injured person 18 or older)
Compassionate care benefits – up to 26 weeks ( a person of any age who needs end-of-life-care)

It is important to note that these benefits may vary from province to province depending on whether you are employed full-time or part-time and how many years of work experience you have.

How can foreign teachers apply for immigration to Canada?

It’s not easy to apply to teach in Canada or apply for a visa, but we’ve put together 4 simple questions you should know the answer to before you start the process of immigrating to Canada.

1. where would I like to live and work in Canada?

Moving to Canada is an important life decision that should not be taken lightly. When considering different destinations in Canada, there are a few things to consider, such as:

Cost of living
  • Need for medical care (are there specialized facilities to meet your and your family’s special needs)
  • Available job opportunities in your field (you will have a better chance if your profession is in demand)
  • Opportunities for career development
  • Housing affordability (whether you want to buy or rent)
  • Your living preferences, such as whether you prefer big cities or small towns

At this point, you may want to find out which provinces have the greatest need for teachers. The more jobs available in a particular province or territory, the more likely you are to get a job in Canada or, even better, an invitation to apply for permanent residency from your chosen province.

Below are the 8 provinces and territories where teaching is on the list of in-demand occupations:

Canadian Provinces/Territories Where Teachers Are In-demand
Province/Territory Occupation In-demand
Alberta (4011) University professors and lecturers
British Columbia (4413) Elementary and secondary school teacher assistants
Newfoundland & Labrador (4011) University professors and lecturers
(4031) Secondary school teachers
Nova Scotia (4021) College and vocational instructors
Northwest Territories (4214) Early Childhood Educator
Prince Edward Island (4011) University professors and lecturers
Saskatchewan (4011) University professors and lecturers
(4021) College and vocational instructors
(4214) Early Childhood Educator
(4215) Instructor of persons with disabilities
(4216) Other instructors
(4413) Elementary and secondary school teacher assistants
Yukon (4214) Early Childhood Educator

Knowing which province or territory is right for you will also be beneficial when applying for a visa, as choosing the right Canadian immigration program can make the difference between success and failure of your visa application.

2. What documents do I need for the application?

In order to immigrate to Canada as a teacher, you will need to gather some important documents, especially related to your qualifications. If you have a foreign degree, you will first need to check if it is recognized in Canada. If it is, you may need an Educational Credential Assessment (ECA), which verifies that your degree, diploma or certificate is valid and meets Canadian standards.

Below is a list of designated organizations that are permitted to do your assessment:

  • Comparative Education Service – University of Toronto School of Continuing Studies;
  • International Credential Assessment Service of Canada;
  • World Education Services;
  • International Qualifications Assessment Service (IQAS); and
  • International Credential Evaluation Service.

Your level of education depends on your occupation. Below is a list of educational requirements:

  • Early Childhood Educators usually require a 2 – 4 year college program in early childhood education or a Bachelor’s Degree in child development while assistants will merely need to have completed secondary school, have experience in childcare and have completed an early childhood assistant certificate or post-secondary course in early childhood education
  • Elementary and Kindergarten teachers require a Bachelor’s Degree in education and possibly child development as well as additional training in special education and a provincial certificate.
  • Academic or secondary teachers usually require a Bachelor’s Degree in Education as well as in the Arts or Sciences.
  • College and Vocational Instructors require a Bachelor’s or Master’s Degree or College Diploma in your field of expertise and possibly a qualification in adult education (certificate, diploma or degree)
  • University professors need a Doctoral and Master’s Degree in your specialized field.

You will also need a provincial teaching certificate and a license, which you will receive once you become a member of a teachers’ association in the province or territory of your choice.

Below is a list of the regulatory bodies and associations in each province and territory that can issue you a license so you can work as a teacher in Canada:

Regulatory Bodies for Teachers in Canada

Province/Territory Regulatory Authority
Alberta Alberta Education, Professional Standard
British Columbia Ministry of Education, Teacher Regulation Branch
Manitoba Department of Education and Literacy, Teacher Certification Unit
New Brunswick Department of Education, Teacher Certification Unit
Newfoundland and Labrador Department of Education, Registrar of Teacher Certification
Northwest Territory Department of Education, Culture and Employment, Teacher Certification
Nova Scotia Department of Education, Registrar of Teacher Certification
Nunavut Nunavut Educators’ Certification, Department of Education
Ontario Ontario College of Teachers (OCT)
Prince Edward Island Department of Education and Early Childhood Development, Registrar’s Office
Québec Québec – Ministère de l’Éducation, du Loisir et du Sport, Direction de la formation et de la titularisation du personnel scolaire
Saskatchewan Saskatchewan Department of Education, Teacher Services
Yukon Yukon Education, Teacher Certification Unit

3. Do I have a job offer or how likely is it that I will find a job in Canada?

Since most education professionals are considered highly skilled, you may be able to apply under certain programs and Canadian immigration systems that do not require you to have a job in Canada in order to immigrate to Canada, such as Express Entry. However, we have all heard the sad stories of skilled professionals who have moved to Canada but are having difficulty finding work. This can all be avoided if you find a job before you apply for your visa, for two reasons.

The first reason is that it will save you a lot of stress finding a job before your funds are exhausted, so you can focus on other things, such as settling into your Canadian community. The second reason is that your chances of getting a visa could improve in two ways: you could get up to 10 extra points towards a Permanent Residency (PR) or Comprehensive Ranking System (CRS), or you could get a Provincial Nomination (PN), which is worth 600 extra points! All the more reason to have your assessment done by a professional to ensure you maximize your chances of success in the visa application process.

4. Have I Chosen the Correct or Best Canadian immigration program?

There are various ways to immigrate to Canada as a teacher but we’ve listed the top 4 routes that will give you the highest possible chance of living and working in Canada:

  1. Express Entry system;
  2. Provincial Nominee Program;
  3. Atlantic Immigration Pilot;
  4. Rural and Northern Immigration Pilot

1. Express Entry

The Express Entry (EE) system is a points-based system that manages 3 Canadian federal economic immigration programs: the Federal Skilled Worker Program (FSWP), the Federal Trade Worker Program (FSTP) and the Canada Experience Class (CEC). As a highly-skilled professional, you would qualify to apply through the FSWP or the CEC (if you have at least 1 year of Canadian work experience). Your EE application will be entered into draws, which usually takes place every 2 weeks, and ranked against other applicants according to the Comprehensive Ranking System (CRS). Applicants with the highest scores will receive an Invitation to Apply (ITA) for permanent residence. The Express Entry system is one of the most popular ways to immigrate to Canada as it does not require a job offer in Canada, allowing you to work anywhere, and that the application process can take as little as 6 months.

2. Provincial Nominee Program

The Provincial Nominee Program allows you to live and work in Canada if you have a valid job offer in Canada that meets the labour demands of that particular province or territory. Each province/territory has its own PNP with specific in-demand occupations and if you receive a provincial nomination, which is worth 600 extra points you are basically guaranteed to receive an ITA for Canadian permanent residence. As mentioned previously, almost every PNP has a stream linked to the Express Entry system, which will speed up your application process from approximately 18 months if you apply directly to the province to 6months when you apply through Express Entry. Below is a list of PNP streams or categories, in each province or territory, for medical professionals who want to immigrate to Canada.


Canadian Immigration for Teachers
Province/Territory Immigration Stream/Category
Alberta Alberta Express Entry Stream
British Columbia Express Entry: Skilled Worker Category
Newfoundland and Labrador Express Entry: Skilled Worker Stream
Northwest Territories Express Entry: Skilled Worker Stream
Nova Scotia Nova Scotia Demand: Express Entry Stream
Prince Edward Island Express Entry Stream
Saskatchewan Express Entry: International Skilled Worker Category
Yukon Express Entry: Skilled Worker Stream

3. The Atlantic Immigration Pilot

The Atlantic Immigration Pilot (AIP) is perfect if you have your heart set on putting down roots in one of Canada’s coastal regions, namely Prince Edward Island, Nova Scotia, New Brunswick or Newfoundland & Labrador. In order to qualify for this program, you will need a valid job offer in one of Canada’s Atlantic provinces as well as meet other requirements such as language skills and work experience.

4. The Rural and Northern Immigration Pilot

If you don’t see yourself settling down beside the ocean but are still yearning for the simple life then you may want to consider one of the 11 participating communities of Canada’s Rural and Northern Immigration Pilot (RNIP), namely Alberta, Saskatchewan, Manitoba, Ontario and New Brunswick. You will once again need a valid job offer of at least one year in one of the participating communities as well as meet other requirements to apply to immigrate to Canada through the RNIP.

Related Articles

Back to top button

Adblock Detected

please remove ad blocker to view this content