Work In Canada

How to Work in Canada as a System Administrator

Computer technicians are one of the most in-demand professions in Canada, not only because of vibrant tech hubs like British Columbia, but also because of the fantastic working conditions and salaries for IT professionals.

Top tech giants like Axis Communications in Canada are aware of the high pressures their employees face and understand the importance of work-life balance. As a Systems Administrator living and working in Canada, you will have access to work benefits such as:

  • Sabbatical leave;
  • Career development;
  • Flexible work environments;
  • Wellness Programs & Life Coaching;
  • In-Office Entertainment;
  • Childcare.

In addition to these wonderful benefits, you can look forward to an attractive paycheck. According to Payscale, you can earn up to $80,000 per year as an experienced systems administrator if you move to Canada.

Furthermore, as permanent residents, your family members will have access to the same incredible benefits as other Canadians, such as free universal healthcare, public schools, and much more.

Top Cities to Live and Work in Canada as Tech Professional

Canada has a number of technology hubs for systems administrators, most of which are found in British Columbia and Alberta. Below are some of the top cities where you can live and work as a technician in Canada, as well as the immigration programs that can help you get there.

Top Cities to Move to in Canada as a Tech Worker
Edmonton, Alberta
Calgary, Alberta
Victoria, British Columbia
Toronto, British Columbia
Ottawa, Ontario
Waterloo, Ontario
Hamilton, Ontario
Montreal, Quebec

What Do I Need to Work in Canada as a Systems Administrator?

All occupations in Canada are classified according to the National Occupation Classification (NOC) system based on skill level and type of job. Systems administrators or computer and information systems managers are classified at skill level 0.

This means you need a bachelor’s or master’s degree in computer science, business administration, commerce, or engineering.

You also need several years of work experience relevant to your profession.

How Can I Get Permanent Residence in Canada as a System Administrator?

There are two main ways to become a system administrator in Canada:

  • Study in Canada; or
  • Immigrate to Canada

1. Study in Canada

The best way to move to Canada and become a systems administrator is to earn your qualification in Canada. By studying in Canada, not only will you have access to an internationally recognized education system that will prepare you for a world-class career, but you will also have the opportunity to stay, live and work in Canada through immigration programs such as the Post-Graduate Work Program (PGWP).

The PGWP does not immediately grant you permanent residency, but it does give you the opportunity to gain enough work experience to apply for Canadian permanent residency. Some Canadian provinces also have special immigration programs for international students who have studied in the province or territory and wish to apply for permanent residency.

Some of the best technical universities you should consider:

  • University of British Columbia;
  • University of Waterloo;
  • University of Toronto;
  • The University of Alberta;
  • Carleton University;
  • McGill University;
  • University of Montreal;
  • University of Ottawa;
  • Concordia University.
  • Western University
  • University of Victoria; and
  • Simon Fraser University.

2. Canadian Immigration Options

As a highly-skilled professional, there are various options available for you to move to Canada.

Two of the most popular Canadian Immigration pathways for tech workers are:

  1. The Express Entry System;
  2. Provincial Nominee Programs;

1. Express Entry

The Express Entry (EE) system is a points-based system that manages 3 Canadian federal economic immigration programs:

  • The Federal Skilled Worker Program (FSWP);
  • The Federal Trade Worker Program (FSTP); and
  • The Canada Experience Class (CEC).

As a systems administrator, you could be eligible to apply for permanent residence through the FSWP or the CEC (if you have at least 1 year of Canadian work experience) and could get permanent residence in Canada in as little as 6 months!

2. Provincial Nominee Program

The Provincial Nominee Program allows you to live and work in Canada if you have the necessary skills that your chosen province or territory needs. Almost all Canadian provinces/territories have their own PNPs, each with its own eligibility requirements.

Unlike the Express Entry system, you may need a job offer in Canada to qualify for a provincial nomination, which is worth 600 extra PR points. This means that you’ll have a higher chance of being invited to apply for Canadian permanent residence.

If you want to move to one of Canada’s tech hubs or be located in a province where your job is in demand, you may want to consider some of these PNP streams:


Canadian Immigration for Tech Professionals
Province/Territory Immigration Stream/Category
British Columbia Tech Pilot
Newfoundland & Labrador Skilled Worker Stream
Ontario Express Entry Human Capital Priorities Stream
Express Entry French-speaking Skilled Worker Stream
Saskatchewan International Skilled Worker Category: Express Entry

Related Articles

Back to top button

Adblock Detected

please remove ad blocker to view this content