Ready to taste life as Canuck? Each year, thousands of Australians come to Canada for many different reasons. Some visit for a short but sweet time and others settle in permanently. The two countries have a lot in common, such as world-class cities, friendly and down-to-earth people, and thriving economies. There are also some big differences that Australians find appealing, such as the snowy weather conditions that allow for action-packed winter activities and European culture.
Find out below how you can apply for a Canadian visa from Australia and enjoy living in the top rated country in the world.
Step 1: Decide what you want to do and where!
So what is your reason for coming to Canada? Do you want to visit your family and friends? Or do you have a job offer to work in Canada? Maybe you would like to study in Canada which offers prestigious educational institutions at cheaper tuition prices than most Australian universities and colleges. You can also decide to settle permanently in the Far North through a variety of incredible immigration programs that currently accept thousands of newcomers every year. In fact, Canada’s immigration target is 1.23 million immigrants by 2023.
Knowing where you want to go in Canada is also very important. With 13 provinces and territories that have their own visa programs and regulated professions, it’s important to choose wisely. According to recent census data, the majority of Australians prefer to live in British Columbia, Ontario and Alberta.
Step 2: Find a visa program that’s right for you
There are over 100 Canadian visa and immigration programs that you can apply for a Canadian visa for Australia. In this section, we discuss the most popular options for Australians who want to come to Canada.
Canadian Visa Options for Australians
- Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA)
- Work Visa
- Student Visa
- Permanent Resident Visa
1. Visiting Canada on a Holiday
Visa Type: Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA)
- Duration: 6 Months
- Application Difficulty: Easy
If you want to visit family and friends in Canada or take a vacation in Canada, you will need an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) to do so. Australians are among the lucky few who can visit Canada visa-free. The process of obtaining an eTA is very simple and can take a few minutes!
Australians love to travel to explore different regions and meet new people. They also enjoy action-packed trips that offer exciting outdoor activities like skiing the slopes and camping to see the Northern Lights. Canada is the perfect place for all types of travelers with its European influence in the province of Quebec and an incredible food scene.
2. Working in Canada from Australia
Visa Type: Work Permit
- Duration: Depends on your employment contract or work program
- Application Difficulty: Difficult
- Associated Programs: The Temporary Foreign Work Permit Program (TFWP); and
- The International Mobility Program (IMP)
You can apply for a Canadian work permit if you have a valid job offer from a Canadian employer. In very specific circumstances, you may be able to work in Canada without arranged employment. For example, if you are an international graduate applying to stay and work in Canada, or if you are the spouse of a work permit holder. Discover some existing work permit programs below:
1. The IEC Work and Holiday Visa is one of the most popular options for young Australians aged 18-35 who want to earn money while visiting and exploring Canada for up to 24 months!
2. There are also special employment programs for workers in demand in Canada, such as orderlies, highly skilled technicians (below) and agricultural workers in particular. You can obtain a work permit by applying for it through one of the lines of the Temporary Work Permit Program for Abroad.
3. If you are a tech whiz in a highly skilled profession – as a computer engineer, digital media designer, or web developer to name a few – you might be interested in the global flow of talent. . This employment program processes applications in as little as two weeks for eligible applicants.
4. And finally, you can also get a Canada Australia visa for employment purposes if you are a relocated company or have applied for permanent residence and your application is currently being processed.
3. Studying in Canada from Australia
Visa Type: Study Permit
- Duration: The same length as your study program or 90 days after you graduate
- Application Difficulty: Moderate
- Associated Programs: Post-Graduate Work Permit Program
More than a quality education at top universities and colleges, Canada also offers fun student life experiences, immersion in global culture, and huge employment opportunities. You can study in Canada by enrolling at a designated educational institution like the University of Toronto, for example, and applying for a Canadian study permit along with your letter of acceptance. Average tuition fees in Canada are lower than in Australia.
4. Moving to Canada from Australia
Visa Type: Permanent Resident Visa
- Duration: Does not expire
- Application Difficulty: Difficult
- Popular Immigration Program: Express Entry System
If you wish to move to Canada, you must apply for an Australian Permanent Resident Visa through one of the many immigration programs available. The most popular way to make the switch is through the Express Entry system which manages three skilled worker immigration programs. You will be ranked in a pool of candidates based on your age, level of education, years of professional experience, and language proficiency, among other criteria. Top-rated applicants receive an Invitation to Apply (ITA) for permanent residency.
GOOD TO KNOW: The Express Entry system is responsible for admitting the majority of economic immigrants to Canada and plans to welcome 108,500 newcomers in 2021 and even more in 2022.
Step 3: Gather Your Documents
You will need to gather the supporting documents for your application, regardless of the Canadian visa you are applying for. Documents can range from obvious documents, such as a copy of your passport, to more complex documents such as a Labor Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) for certain work permit programs or a credential assessment. (EDE) to demonstrate that your education meets Canadian standards. . .
Step 4: Submit Your Visa Application
The final step in the Canadian visa application process for Australia is to complete the government forms and submit your visa application and supporting documents to the appropriate Canadian department. Processing times vary depending on the type of visa you are applying for, learn more below.
|Visa Processing Times|
|Canadian Visa||Processing time|
|1. PR Visa via the Express Entry system||6 months|
|2. Study Permit||7 weeks|
|3. Work Permit||9 weeks|
Living in Canada as an Aussie
1. Dual Citizenship
Australians love to move to Canada because they can keep their Australian citizenship. You can apply for citizenship in Canada after approximately two to three years of naturalization.
2. Lifestyle and scenery
Australians are no strangers to natural beauty with the Great Barrier Reef and the incredible biodiversity in your backyard, but Canada still fails to amaze us. Awe-inspiring mountains, lakes, waterfalls and plenty of outdoor activities attract an Australian. Canada is also ranked number one for quality of life. Vancouver is Awesome interviewed Australians living in Vancity. “I’m doing public relations now and have no plans to go back to Australia, the lifestyle is much better here,” said Etienne Olden.
Since 2015, Australians have obtained between 7,000 and 10,000 Canadian work visas each year, according to the IRCC. This is because Canada welcomes foreign workers with the skills and experience necessary to fill the jobs in demand here. Canada has a rapidly aging population and is responsible for thousands of labor shortages. Immigration Minister Marco Mendicino believes immigrants and foreign workers are the answer to boosting the Canadian economy.